House fire breaks out on Sandileigh Drive, Bolton

Fire crews from Bolton North, Bolton Central and Bury attended the property on Sandileigh Drive at around 9pm after the occupants discovered the fire in their living room.

The fire was linked to an electricity consumer unit on the ground floor of the property.

The residents were able to leave the property safely and no-one was reported injured.

READ MORE: Bolton schoolboy ‘lost for words’ after meeting Princess Royal

Crews remained at the scene for around an hour and a half, installing additional smoke alarms in the house and carrying out precautionary checks on the family.

Bolton North Fire Station watch manager, Glynn McGann, said: “Crews using what we call attack fans were able to enter the property and extinguish the fire on the consumer unit and at the same time, ventilate smoke so that it caused less damage to the property and the people who live there.

“[The fire] caused quite a bit of damage to one wall, the electricity needed to be isolated.”

READ MORE: Westhoughton town hall plans to be considered

Watch manager McGann noted that the house already had working smoke alarms but crews fitted some additional devices to cover any faults with the existing alarms.

He added: “We’ve given out some smoke alarms to the neighbouring properties.

“If anybody wishes to call us in for a home fire safety check, you can do so on 0800 555815.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *