Man arrested as police make breakthrough on Brixton shooting of Lemar Urquhart


man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after the son of a top boxing promoter was shot dead and a deliveroo driver killed in a chase through the streets of south London.

Lemar Urquhart, 27, was shot eight times in a gang attack in Railton Road, Brixton, on October 30.

The white MG he was driving was in a collision with Deliveroo driver Guilherme Messias Da Silva, 23, who died.

Police arrested a 19 year-old man on Wednesday on suspicion of murder. He remains in custody. A 25-year-old previously arrested has been released with no further action.

Crimestoppers offered a £20,000 reward for leads leading to a successful prosecution in the case.

An inquest in November heard the car Mr Urquhart was driving had hit Brazilian Mr Da Silva’s moped head-on during the incident, before Mr Urquhart and a passenger ran off.

They were chased by a passenger from the back of a grey Alfa Romeo, with Mr Urquhart killed when they opened fire in Railton Road, the hearing was told.

Mr Urquhart, son of boxer Dillian Whyte’s promoter Dean Whyte, was shot eight times before the gunman fled the scene by car.

Det Insp Jason Fitzpatrick told the inquest the gunman remained on the run.

Appearing at Inner South London Coroner’s Court, he said: “The occupants of a grey Alfa Romeo, both the driver and the suspect who shot Mr Urquhart, have yet to be identified.

“Investigations are ongoing into identifying those responsible. Identifying the suspects involved is proving difficult at the moment,” he told coroner Dr Julian Morris.

The inquest was adjourned while police investigations continue.

Dean whyte, who has become famous for helping to promote Dillian’s fights, wrote on instagram: ‘R.I.P my boy. Daddy loves u. Life has changed forever’.

Meanwhile the heavyweight boxer, 34, shared the post adding a number of broken heart emojis.

Mr Da Silva’s mother Rosângela Messias de Sousa said after her son’s death “I’m devastated… my heart is bleeding.

“On Sunday I was talking to him. We used to talk every day. I would always ask the Holy Spirit to guide him on the roads.

“I can’t believe this happened in a city like London, which is supposed to be a first world city.”

Crimestoppers’ London regional manager Alexa Loukas said when the reward was offered: “It’s truly shocking to think that such violence could take place on the street in the early evening, taking away the lives of two young men.”

A Metropolitan Police spokesperson said after the incident two cars were driving in the Railton Road area “when one of the cars was in collision with a moped before further colliding with parked vehicles”.

He added: “A man from the car involved in the collision got out of the vehicle and was pursued by a male, armed with a firearm, from the second car. The fleeing male was shot and he died at the scene.

“The gunman returned to his car and left the scene.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *